Posts for: September, 2019
Crowns are a great way to cover up teeth that have undergone restorative procedures. Here at Willow Ridge Dental Group in Naperville, IL, your dentists, Drs. Jeffrey and Connie Onik, are more than happy to tell you more about crowns and their benefits.
What are dental crowns and why are they used?
Crowns are porcelain caps that your Naperville dentist uses to conceal aesthetic flaws, reinforce tooth structure and, as mentioned above, place over restorative procedures, such as root canals.
How are they placed?
Crowning takes two-to-three visits, and generally follows this outline:
- Your dentist will use an anesthetic to numb the tooth and its surrounding area.
- Then, they shape the tooth to fit inside the crown using specialized tools.
- If little tooth structure is left, your dentist builds up with filling material to support the crown.
- An impression of the tooth is taken and sent to the dental laboratory.
- Technicians use the impressions to make models of your teeth to create a crown.
- A temporary crown is attached to your tooth until the permanent crown is ready.
- During your next visit, your permanent crown is attached with resin, and hardened with a curing light source.
How to Care for Crowns:
- Make sure you brush twice a day and floss before bed. A healthy oral regimen will reduce the risk of dental decay and the need for future crowns.
- Opt for a healthier diet to avoid exposing teeth to acid-producing bacteria that breakdown teeth, cause decay and, perhaps, other diseases like gum disease.
- If you suffer from bruxism (i.e. tooth grinding), wear a mouth guard or splints to increase the longevity of your crown.
Interested? Give Us a Call
For more information on dental crowns and what they can do for your smile, contact Drs. Jeffrey and Connie Onik in Naperville, IL, by dialing (630) 420-2800.